Your privacy, our priority
What is personal information?
“personal information” for purposes of this policy, will only include identifying information relating to a living natural person or, where applicable, an existing juristic person, and shall include biometric information (which is regarded as a category of special personal information in terms of the protection of personal information act 4 of 2013).
We may collect your personal information through your access to and use of this website, during conversations or correspondence with secure citizen’s representatives (for example via e-mails, telephone calls and any further correspondence), or when you use our services or applications (whether directly or through a corporate entity).
We may collect, store and transfer the following types of personal information, including, but not limited to:
- Personal and business contact information, such as name, address, telephone number, and email address;
- Biometric information;
- All information and documentation required in terms of anti-money laundering and/or counter terrorism financing legislation, rules and regulations, as relevant to your country;
- All information and documentation required in terms of FICA;
- All information and documentation required in terms of RICA;
- All information and documentation required in terms of other legal and/or business requirements relating to KYC;
- Other unique information such as user ids and passwords, product functionality, product and service preferences, contact preferences, educational and employment history;
- Any information necessary in order for us to provide the services you have requested;
- Where you make use of our contactless delivery service, secure citizen may collect your geo-location information (such as your physical location) in order to match the driver to your location as proof of delivery;
- Details of the services that you subscribed for or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary the provision of those services and to respond to your enquiries;
- Any additional information relating to you that you provide to us.
The purpose for which we may collect, store and transfer personal information is as follows:
- Know your customer (KYC) requirements (including verifying your identity);
- Anti-money laundering and/or counter terrorism financing legislation, rules and regulations, as relevant to your country;
- Financial intelligence centre act 38 of 2001 legislation, as amended (FICA);
- Regulation of interception of communications and provision of communication-related information act 70 of 2002 legislation, as amended (RICA);
- The provision of any product or service that secure citizen and/or our affiliates may offer now or in the future;
- Orders, activations, and registrations for any services;
- Creation of a user profile as a registered secure citizen and verification of such profile;
- Information requests or complaints; and/or
- To reduce identity fraud (including informing you if you have become a victim of fraud or sending details and information around how you can secure your identity to prevent fraud).
How the information collected is used
We may use your information to:
- Provide you with the services, this may also necessitate the sharing your personal information with our third-party service providers;
- Provide third parties with your KYC formation, biometrics and documentation for the purposes of validating and verifying your identity;
- Manage our relationship with you and the service providers;
- Provide you with access to protected areas of our website;
- Communicate with you about the services which we provide to you and/or the support which we provide in respect of such services
- Provide support to you in respect of the services;
- Improve our services and develop new services;
- Send communication to you about any new features of the secure citizen products and services or any new products which secure citizen may develop from time to time, by electronic communication or other means, unless you indicate that you would prefer not to receive such communication by emailing us at email@example.com or until such time as you unsubscribe from receiving such communication. We will give you the option to unsubscribe in every communication which we send to you; answer enquiries, provide information, support or advice about existing and new products or services;
- Send communication to you about any data breaches which have occurred as well as the steps which you can take to protect your identity, by electronic communication or other means, unless you indicate that you would prefer not to receive such communication by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or until such time as you unsubscribe from receiving such communication;
- Assess and improve the performance and operation of the website;
- To keep your contact details up to date and provide you with updates;
- Prevent and detect security threats, fraud or other malicious activity and inform you if you have become a victim of fraud and the steps to take to protect your identity; and
- Process and respond to any complaint made by you.
If you subscribe to our services, news, announcements, alerts or any such information to be emailed to you from secure citizen, we will hold your details on our database until such time as you choose to unsubscribe from this service. You may do this at any stage by selecting the unsubscribe button in the email application or emailing email@example.com.
How we hold personal information securely
In all circumstances the information is held by us on our secure systems or database or on the servers of our third-party service providers. In the event that personal information is stored on the servers of our third-party service providers, we will ensure that we have entered into written agreements with those third-party service providers, which will require them to secure the integrity and confidentiality of personal information in their possession by taking appropriate, reasonable technical and organisational measures.
We undertake to take all reasonable and necessary steps to secure the integrity and confidentiality of your personal information and protect your information from misuse, loss, interference, unauthorised access, modification or unauthorised disclosure.
Electronic copies are held in a secure environment, with the application of appropriate passwords and other computer and software security techniques.
Our website may contain links to third party websites and applications. We are not responsible for and make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices or content of any third-party websites and applications. Your use of such sites and applications is subject to the applicable third-party privacy statement and is entirely at your own risk.
Retention of personal information
Secure citizen may keep your personal information for as long as you continue to engage with us, access the website and content and/or use our products or services or for as long as reasonably necessary or until you contact us and ask us to destroy your personal information.
Aside from the aforementioned, we may retain and process some or all of your personal information if and for as long as:
- We are required or permitted by law, a code of conduct or a contract with you to do so,
- We reasonably need it for lawful purposes related to the performance of our functions and activities,
- We reasonably require it for evidentiary or audit purposes; or
- You agree to us retaining it for a specified further period.
Your rights in relation to your personal information
Data protection legislation may confer certain rights on you in respect of your personal information. We aim to be clear about what personal information we collect so that you can make meaningful choices about what personal information you make available to us. You may, for example:
- Obtain confirmation as to whether we process personal information about you, receive a copy of your personal information and obtain certain other information about how and why we process your personal information;
- request your personal information to be updated, amended or rectified where it is inaccurate (for example, if you change your address) and to have incomplete personal information completed;
- The right to request that your personal information be deleted in the following cases:
- The personal information is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it were collected and processed;
- Our legal ground for processing is consent, you withdraw consent, and we have no other lawful basis for the processing;
- Your personal information has been unlawfully processed; or
- Your personal information must be erased to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
- The right to restrict personal information processing in the following cases:
- For a period in order to enable us to verify the accuracy of personal information where you contested the accuracy of the personal information.
- Your personal information has been unlawfully processed and you request restriction of processing instead of deletion; or
- Your personal information is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected and processed, but the personal information is still required by you to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims.
Limitation of liability
Subject to any rights implied by law which cannot be excluded, we are not and shall not be liable to you, whether in contract, delict (including negligence), statute or otherwise, for any losses, damages, liabilities, claims or expenses (including but not limited to legal costs and defence or settlement costs), direct or indirect, whatsoever arising out of or attributable to your use of this website.
Data protection questions
There are 2 ways you may complain:
- Verbally or in writing by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or our information officer on 010 476 0518
- If you are a resident of South Africa, you can lodge a complaint with the information regulator by completing the form as prescribed.